"Leave your foolish ways behind, and begin to live;
learn how to be wise." Proverbs 9:6 (NLT)

Friday, May 7, 2010

Snapshots Part Two

(April 26-May 2)
Day 251 A student in my choir who never sings and never smiles stole an item from my room.  Instead of writing her up and being done with it, I claimed the moment: sat her down, talked with her about choices and shared my own struggles in jr. high.  I could tell she got it.  The next day, she asked me if she could sing a solo for the talent show...  I pulled out the requested song and when she opened her mouth I was floored; I had never heard her sing in two years and she had one of the best voices in the class!  I did make a difference!

Day 252 Mom called to hear how worship team went.  Glaze over it or share with utter vulnerability?  When I hung up the phone an hour later I was encouraged and refreshed.  The stories of politics and spiritual attacks were lifted and I was at peace knowing my heart is in the right place: It's all about Him!

Day 253 After choir practice I was cutting through the sanctuary and felt the pull to stay and pray.  I wanted to go up to the stage and kneel but was keenly aware of the soundmen in the soundbooth.  How could I focus with them there?  Now, I wish I would have just done it.  I claimed the moment, but was a whimp about it--I sat several rows back and only lasted five minutes.  Even still, I felt reassured that I had a purpose as I lifted the choir members and pastors up in prayer.

Day 254 Mustered up the confidence to call up the music secretary and asked what was expected for my next time on Wednesday night worship, as two of  us were scheduled for the same part.  Hung up totally excited that she'd put the other girl with me because I have "more experience" and can "help her" instead of the odd scheduling being that I wasn't a strong enough singer to hold my part.  Note: Just communicate!!

Day 255 After our performance in the district Razzle Dazzle [Talent Show] I wanted to go home and just relax. As we were carpooling home, I could tell that my friend Nichole wanted to hang out instead of go home (it was a Friday night after all!).  I claimed "togetherness" and we ended up enjoying a cute movie and good conversation.

Day 256 Gave up my favorite day of the week (Saturday) to help a friend's mom move.  My claim was to be a blessing, though I ended up being in quite a bad mood when I was there four hours longer than I'd expected...

Day 257 A very sweet girl invited me over for lunch after church.  Though I had been up late and was really wanting to go home and take a Sunday nap, I immediately said, "Sure!"  Before my mind could even think, my mouth had claimed it for me.  Amazing how claiming starts to become a habit.  Result? Good convo, yummy muffins, and the beginning of a new friendship.  Felt satisfied that I put someone else first.

Lesson: giving people your time rarely becomes a regret

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails