But every year I run out of time and brush them aside,
put off again until “next year.”
This year I was determined.
I picked out my cards ahead of time,
and began to debate if I’d send a picture,
newsletter, or handwritten note.
But then things came up.
Each day passed and no cards were written.
When I was running out of days,
I had to make a decision.
The thought to wait ‘til next year was coming closer.
But then I concluded: it would be better to at least send some than none at all.
So I picked relatives and dear family friends that I haven’t seen in so long,and finally set aside an afternoon.
As I began to write, a warmth and happiness began to fill my heart.
I know it sounds cheesy, but it really happened!
I wrote a letter in each one,
telling of my life, asking of theirs,
and expressing memories of them and feelings of love.
My grandparents on my dad’s side—
Could it really be that long?
My “grandma” Louise who I used to write letters to in junior high…
My grandma on my mom’s side who is battling cancer—
have I really not seen her since I was twelve?!
It was the most uplifting, exciting feeling to walk through the post office line,
place the stamps on the Christmasy red envelopes,
and send them off into the void.
I wonder if anyone will write?
Lesson: rekindle family ties


I don't have your address, so I couldn't send you a card. : ( You could e-mail it to me! - Melissa
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about it! I only sent them to a few old family friends that are my adopted "grandparents" and then my relatives. I thought--better to send out a few than none. :)
ReplyDelete