"Leave your foolish ways behind, and begin to live;
learn how to be wise." Proverbs 9:6 (NLT)

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Last Week of School

(May 24-May 30)

Day 281  I live alone.  It has its perks.  Perfect example: Tonight it was hot, humid, and almost unbearable.  Tried something new--spent the evening sitting on my couch, doing school grading, in only my "underclothes."  It was, well, freeing to say the least. :)

Day 282  Something totally NEW.  Decided to join my church for their monthly outreach to an innercity church on the south side of Chicago.  It reminded me a lot of a church someone I'd dated from NYC was involved in, and it drew my heart.  We led worship and served food and the Lord encouraged me immensely by using me to reach a 16 yr old African American girl.  We'd both gone up front (among others) for an altar call, but I didn't see her until I turned around.  As soon as I said something to her, the tears came and she threw her arms around me.  She cried and we prayed--she had come up front and given her heart to the Lord!  I was able to encourage her, direct her where to read in the Bible, introduce her to the pastor's wife, and introduce myself to a few of the youth group girls and encourage them to go introduce themselves to her (she wasn't a regular church-goer).  Before the night was over, I saw one of the girls go over and introduce themselves to her--I couldn't help but smile.  I road the bus home excited to be used and inspired for more of Him.

Day 283  Said YES last week when asked by an aquaintance with Asbergers disease if I'd help him study for his upcoming music education exam.  We met at the coffee shop at church tonight and went over several of the exam questions; somehow laying my life down for him boosted me.  Is Joey's claim on "Friends" true?  Is there really no unselfish good deed, since it makes one feel better to do something kind for another? 

Day 284 Why is it that the closer I get to 30, the more I feel that my body is just plain OLD?  It seems that wrinkles and blemishes are appearing, weight gain is constant, and my cute little shorts from two years ago are no where close to fitting!  Today?  Go RUNNING.  Called up a girl friend instead of going alone, and afterward when she wanted to go for ice cream I said YES (though I really didn't want to since I just ran).  That YES opened up a whole personal conversation about hurtful things from her past and present struggles.  Thank you Lord for helping me to claim the important things!

Day 285  Last day of school (for students).  Claimed a crucial moment to have a heart-to-heart with a 7th grade girl who, earlier in the year, had gotten up infront of the class during a speech and claimed Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior.  She and some classmates had made a very irresponsible, disrespecful choice that landed them scrubbing, cleaning, dusting, and mopping my classroom for the last hour and a half of school.  I dismissed them one-by-one, saving her for last.  When I brought up her walk with the Lord and that everything we do is an example of who Christ is, her eyes filled with tears.  It turned into a powerful discussion, ending with tears and a hug and a warm up, "Thank you, Miss!" 

Day 286  A new friend from choir was having a grill-out/party today for passing her citizenship interview.  I was feeling lazy and selfishly didn't want to go...  Lounging around my house sounded more enjoyable for my Sunday afternoon, but I claimed it and had to reclaim it instead of backing out when it started pouring down rain.  Praise the Lord that I went!  He sent an angel to speak into me the words that I needed, the prayers that I needed, the GRACE that I needed.  I left with the reminder that I am so loved by Jesus!

Day 287  A lovely Saturday afternoon.  Was enjoying using the digital voice recorder that I'd asked for on my birthday last year (life, and the school year, kept me busy enough that it was a year later and I'd hardly used it).  I got so excited with the features as I used it to compose that I claimed to share my gratitude!  So, I took a moment to call my dad, tell him all about it, and thank him for buying it for me!  It felt great to share the moment with someone, and to actually take the time to give a thank-you.

Day 288  My family had a sleepover at my brother and sister-in-laws house today for the holiday weekend.  I was all cuddled up on the livingroom recliner, enjoying the comfy blanket and footrest, when my brother took little Noah (my new nephew) out of his baby swing to play with him on the floor.  My sister bopped down next to him and asked if I wanted to join them.  I was rather comfy and feeling quite lazy, and pushed away the fact that I couldn't see the little guy because my brother's back was blocking my view.  A few minutes passed by.  I knew I needed to live the moment while I was at their house.  Many smiles and cooing came soon after (from me and my sister, not little Noah!) and the feeling was totally worth it!

Lesson: God meets you in your selflessness with a surprise every time

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you're allowed to have students clean your room. I feel like my hands are tied every which way when it comes to consequences.

    On an upnote...sounds GREAT! How's the summer going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it was GREAT! The assistant principal gave me permission, and the janitors even helped supply "the goods." :) Summer is going wonderful! Did you get my e-mail? When are we going to get together??

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails