"Leave your foolish ways behind, and begin to live;
learn how to be wise." Proverbs 9:6 (NLT)

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Snapshots Part Five

(May 17-May 23)

Day 274  Something NEW.  Registed online for my sister and I to attend our church's annual Girlfriends Night Out.  The past two years whenever it was advertised at church I always thought it sounded really fun, but I never took the step to go.  This year is the year!

Day 275  The middle school I teach at is a Title I school.  Little parent involvement.  Little student motivation.  Our school did an incentive to get kids to class ontime, and today was the reward: an assembly featuring the Jesse White Tumblers!!  I had a lot to get done at school and was wanting to just be focussed and productive, but I also knew I could be missing a great experience.  So I went down to the gym, sat in the front row, and to be honest, was totally amazed and entertained.  Have you ever seen them perform?  If not, you should!  This was a super fun "first" for me!

Day 276  Tonight at choir practice one of the men asked me how I ended up here in IL.  I seized the moment and told him, in detail, how the Lord spoke to me to come, opened the door for my job just in time, made my heart to know He wanted me at this particular church, and what I've learned this far.  It opened up a whole conversation that found us standing in the hallway sharing stories of our need and the Lord's faithfulness.  I went home with a very grateful heart.

Day 277  Back to my school.  The teachers at my schools work very independently; a "team" is not a good description of the atmosphere.  Today I was walking by a veteran teacher's classroom (it's just around the corner from mine) and we started chatting about a student we share.  He is one of my favorites and is great for me, though he is terrible for all of his other teachers.  By terrible I mean really really bad.  We talked for a long time, and when I started getting antsy to get back to my errands (it was after school and I just wanted to get done and go home) I had to keep reminding myself of what was more important.  Several times.  Isn't this what I know our school needs more of?  Forty-five minutes later I was back in my room, closing down for the day.  I left feeling pleased that I'd made a deeper connection with her. 

Day 278  It finally came: "Girlfriends Night Out" at my church.  There was over 450 women there!  It was a blast introducing my sister to some of the friends I've started to make in choir (we all sat together), and was equally fun watching the pastors' "What Not to Wear" fashion show, the table decorating presentation, and an "easy cooking" demonstration.  They had door prizes, and shortly after my sister and I both proclaimed that we never win anything, her raffle ticket number was called!  And then, only a minute or two later, my raffle ticket number was called!  We left with gifts valued over $75 each from Mario Triccoci!!  It almost seemed like God was giving us a thumbs for finally making it to a church event.  :)  To top it off, the girl from choir that I've been "working on" is warming up, finally!  She greeted me with a smile and gave me several compliments on my outfit/jewelry/etc.  We all chatted and laughed the night away-the banquet room was completely empty of all decorations, food, and guests by the time we left.  What a great night!

Day 279  I woke up to sun streaming through my window and the sound of birds chirping in the nearby tree.  Saturday!  Claim?  Rollerblade!  I used to rollerblad all the time, even in college, and a few years ago asked for some really expensive rollerblades for my birthday.  I haven't gone in a year or two.  Now's the time to get active, and pick up old hobbies.  It jump-started my day with energy and excitement for summer.  As I whizzed along, I took in "summer" all around me: the smell of freshly cut grass, sounds of birds chirping, vibrant landscapes of beautiful flowers, garages sales (I stopped at one, even on rollerblades!)...  When I got home I laid on my bed to do a few stretches, and from that angle as I looked out the window I saw a bird's nest at the very top of my tree.  I got up to peak out the window and I couldn't stop the smile luminating my face--the nest was filled with little baby birds and the mom was feeding them!  I've never seen such an amazing part of nature!  I found myself going back to watch the little family, even in the days following.

Day 280  Went to get a manicure and pedicure (with a guilt-free coupon) and chose to claim the moment by closing my eyes during just relaxing in the massaging chair while getting my pedicure.  Just blocking out the surroundings and really appreciating the moment left me refreshed and my body totally calm.

Lesson: appreciate the moment for what it is

2 comments:

  1. Super fun! Sunshiny weather makes everything better...this was an enjoyable read as it sounds like an enjoyable week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your last week of school went by fast! Praise the Lord that it's finally SUMMER! Summertime, and the living is easy... :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails