Day 223: Today while visiting my parents I read an entire book in one sitting--I started it in bed and didn't put it down until I finished it at 1:00am; What a wonderful escape! It was fun to find adventure, suspense, and romance in a novel again.
Day 224: My parents didn't have a lot of money was I was little, so we always had to take super short showers (Yes, my dad would time us!). My parents no longer have to worry about this, but when I'm home sometimes I still put guilt on myself if my shower seems too long. Today, still fighting a temperature and achiness, I decided to take a long shower even thought I was at my parents and just enjoy it. It felt so good!
Day 225: I don't like confrontation. By now, you know this! Today at Kohl's I found an adorable decor pillow for my couch in the exact color and style I've been looking for. Knowing it would complete my search, and noticing that it was on the "super discount" shelf, I grabbed it. As I made my way to the counter, I noticed the price was not adjusted on the red tag on the pillow, I mustered up the guts to explain where I'd found it and ask for a deal. When the cashier typed in a 50% discount, I took a deep breath and reminded her that I'd found it on the 75-80% off shelf and that it had a tiny stain on the corner. She pused a few buttons and said, "Your total is $6.78" I couldn't believe it! It was a $30 pillow. I left for home swelling with joy and pride that I DID IT! I took a chance and got a GREAT deal!
Day 226: Today a girl friend invited me to go get pedicures with her and some of her friends, and after double checking with her that the price would not be over $20, I told her to count me in. My claim came after my toenails were a beautiful fucia color and my friend, who had just paid for her, said "I'm sorry--I guess it's $30!". Stress. I felt a tigthening in my heart. I had told her that I had a coupon at home for another spa that got me a pedicure AND manicure for a total of $30 and she reassured me that the price would be $20. I took a few deep breaths and claimed a stress-free perspective. And, when she wanted me to join them for breakfast I decided to lay down my penny pinching for the sake of fellowship and getting to know her friends. We shared our some of our testimonies and life stories over breakfast. Thank you, Lord, for helping us see things in a balanced perspective!
Day 227: I love nature. Today I finally made it to the store and bought a hard-core bird feeder for the blossoming tree outside my kitchen window. I filled it and waited expectantly for my first visitors.
Day 228: Somtimes it's hard to be vulnerable. Tonight I had dear friends come visit from Milwaukee--a couple that I haven't seen in almost a year! Sitting across the patio table at one of my favorite restaurants, a moment of truth came up. I knew I needed to be honest and vulnerable about where I'm at with singleness and my present struggles. It opened up a very encouraging personal conversation that gave me renewed hope and inspiration! After they left, I kept thinking how glad I was that I just opened up and laid my sould bare.
Day 229: My cell phone rang and I just didn't feel like answering. I had gotten home from work shortly before and was just sitting down to eat a snack and relax. After a few rings I knew I needed to claim the moment, so picked up with a chipper "hello." Little did I know the blessing on the other end. One of the youth kids that I've mentored and been friends with for several years began, through choked back tears, to express his thanks for my guidance and help all these years. He had simply called to say thank you! I was so glad I'd answered his call!!
Lesson: just go for it--what are you waiting for?
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
The Abyss Part 4 (Days 223-229)
Labels:
Fellowship,
Habits,
Perspective,
Relationships,
Social Events
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment