"Leave your foolish ways behind, and begin to live;
learn how to be wise." Proverbs 9:6 (NLT)

Monday, August 2, 2010

Summer Part 4

Day 345  Said YES when a random volleyball team was missing a female player and asked me to play for their game.  It was a blast, and definitely a challenge for my confidence!

Day 346  Standing at my kitchen sink doing dishes, I found myself staring out the window at the gorgeous day.  Knowing the summer was quickly ending, I called up a friend to see if she wanted to go canoeing (a summer activity I've wanted to do for the past few summers!).  The lake was peaceful and still.  Little did I know what chaos was coming the next day!

Day 347  Severe abdominal pain and constant throwing up found me making friends with my bathroom sink.  This was the first time in my life (literally) that I'd ever thrown up.  After over four hours of trying to survive, I knew I needed to brave my fears and go to the emergency room.  Appendicitis landed me in surgery that night and a 24-hour hospital stay.  So much for our first big family vacation in 17 years!!  We were to leave the following morning.

Day 348 Going home from the hospital, we had go through the drive-through at Walgreens to pick up my medications.  The girl in the car next to us had the cutest dog, so when she saw me smiling and pointing, she rolled down her window so I could see him.  Claim?   Strike up a convo, and ask her what kind of puppy he was! Schnauser.

Day 349  It was two days after my surgery and I was bleeding whenever I went to the bathroom, which hadn't happend before.  As directed previously by the nurse, I called the doctor.  She was completely rude--talking down to me and interrupting me with an answer before hearing the entire question.  In the past, I'd get intimidated in such a situation, accept the limited answers I'd received, and end the conversation.  But, during this journey of claiming I'd say I've found a little thing called "gumption."  I stood my ground and firmly yet professionally reworded or reasked my questions.  Amazingly, I finally got my questions answered and hung up--educated and annoyed.

Day 350  This has been such a refreshing summer--one of growth, healthy habits, and self-discovery.  In attempt to hold on to these progress on stepping stones, I decided to make a list of the priorities, habits, and daily decisions I made this summer that brought about such changes.  Hopefully, reading it throughout the school year will help me maintain this transformation!

Day 351  Something new: let a guy friend come over and hang out with my mom and me even though the rest of "the group" wasn't available.  We had a blast laughing together, sharing stories, and watching "The Bounty Hunter."  Praise the Lord for male friendships!

Lesson:  Eventually, claiming becomes natural!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails