Written Friday (Day 177):
Today I had an 8th grade boy coming after school for a detention. This boy happens to be one of the "high fliers" for behavior issues at our school. (He was just selected by staff and administration for extreme intervention--1 of 25 from our school population of over 1,000).
His detention with me? Simply consistent gum chewing (it's again school rules). I do have to say, I was completely surprised that this boy was even close to being on that list. I've had him for three weeks, and he's been fine with behavior. Granted, the first two days he did nothing: Said he hated music and didn't want to do anything. When I asked him why, he explained it was because he kept failing everything and having to retake classes. Plus, he's been stuck having music twice a year (instead of just once) due to his class rotation,
which I'm sure is totally frustrating when he doesn't enjoy the subject in the first place!
So, I started working with him, reaching out to help him. I saw immediate progress! When he refused to do the first assignment, I gave him a choice on other things he could do. I ended up providing him with a clean version of a rap by Lil Wayne (his favorite artist) and letting him draw a comic strip about it or Lil Wayne's life. He even took it home after day two to work on it and brought it back--an A!
During today's detention, he came early--he got there before I even got back to my room! I let him do some easy cleaning, and then stuck him with the nasty (but much-needed job) of scrubbing clean my whiteboard. I explained how I don't like things dirty and that I even tried cleaning it that morning (which is true; I just didn't have time to get it all done). I was about to walk away and relax at my desk when I stopped myself. Wasn't the purpose of this detention to keep connecting with him, encouraging him? Would scrubbing the whiteboard really do that? Of course not. So I claimed the moment, saying, "You know what, let's do it together."
So we began scrubbing. And talking. We chatted the whole time. When his time was up I told him he was free to go and that "At least we got part of the board cleaned." Then he said something that shocked me, "That's okay--I'll stay and help you finish it." I couldn't believe it! This kid is volunteering to stay, on a FRIDAY, and help me clean my room? I couldn't stop smiling. He totally made my day!
Lesson: give and it will be returned 100 fold
Sunday, February 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow...amazing post.
ReplyDeleteYour offering a helping hand was cute. :)
Nez..it is so good that they have ppl like you...you really tried to understand the behavior when it was detention...kudos to you for tht...we still lack ppl like you here in the education system of my country. What is left over is just a business...