Day 178
Fun "girl time" with my friend who was visiting from Milwaukee. Enjoyed driving in the sunny weather to IKEA and picking out real plants for my apartment. What "life" is brought by a little greenery! Recently decided on a color scheme for my bedroom--time to decorate! Left with a receipt quite a bit higher than anticipated and a tightness in my chest. Claim? RELAX about it. It was $25 more than I estimated, but definitely less than my budget. I had to remind myself of this claim several times throughout the day. (I can feel the tightness returning as I type about it!).
Lesson: stress is a choice
Day 179
There is a singer at my church who I totally respect as a musician. For the past two years, my sister and I have talked about how she is our favorite soloist. She's African American and has the most amazing voice. I have noticed over the past few weeks that she is, to be blunt, rather rude. At practice Wednesday I tried to be friendly. It did not work. This morning I decided to try again.
I approached her and made small talk. She did not even look up from whatever she was writing in her binder. Her answers were short and concise. I ignored it and kept talking. I decided to ask her if she'd be willing to sing through a song Wednesday night after rehearsal that I'm working on writing (she has the voice for it). At first she seemed to think it was a ridiculous idea, and ridiculous that I was even writing songs in the first , place. Again, I didn't react and just kept being friendly. Finally, she seemed to lighten up a little. Once I got done explaining, she agreed. As I walked away she apologized for being distracted with her work, though still no smile came.
I left wondering...What is she going through?
Lesson: change takes time
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment