I haven't written in a while.
Can't believe a whole week has passed.
Actually, yes I can; it's been a long one!
Do you ever just feel drained and weary with life?
Things don't go as planned, dreams are broken,
and you're left thinking, "Are things ever going to change?"
I'm sure you've been there.
Although I've found small ways to claim each day the past week,
I don't feel the joy in normally brings.
I'm spiritually drained, fighting discouragement,
and wondering if my love life will ever work out and I'll be happy.
How easy it is to feel sorry for myself!
Lord, get me out of this slump!!!
So... here's a quick recap of the past week:
I apologize in advance for how brief it is.
Day 183
Decided to snuggle into bed two hours early to read a good book and enjoy a slow-paced evening. Thought it'd be like when I was in junior high and would escape into the adventures of a good book during late-night hours (except for this definitely was not going to be "late night" by any means!). The reading didn't last long--I put the book down "briefly" to close my eyes and pray. I woke up two hours later, turned my light off, and rested peacefully.
Lesson: praying in bed will result in sleep!
Day 184
I was reading my Woman's Day magazine today and one suggestion for happiness was to try coloring again. Their reasoning was that there must have been something enjoyable about it if we liked it as a kid. So, when my girl friends came over that night to watch a movie and do crafts, I pulled out a Whinny the Pooh coloring books and 48-pack of bright crayons. I was ready to be inspired! Honestly? It did nothing for me. I was surprised and definitely disappointed. What happend to the magic of so neatly filling in each space with a beautiful, vibrant crayon color?
Lesson: once you grow up, some things just aren't the same
Day 185
Saturday. I love Saturday mornings, especially when I wake up to the sun beaming through my window and the excitement of a day totally free to be filled as I wanted. Today I cranked up the volume of one of my favorite stations--90.0FM out of Glen Ellyn. Jazz!! The music was swingin' and I was happily organizing my house, tidying, etc. An awesome swing song came on and I thought of another happiness suggestion I'd read in Woman's Day--try dancing around your living room just for fun! So I did! And it was great! I didn't worry about closing the blinds--who cares?? I was swinging it up! When I went into the bathroom I finally had to stop bopping around when I was trying to use a curling iron and round brush and dance at the same time. A little too dangerous! Dancing so freely totally put a bounce in my step and set the whole mood for my day. It was a great day off!
Lesson: who said you need a partner to swing dance?!
Day 186
Finally! The Sunday I'd been waiting for--the first session of the Songwriters Group at my church that I decided to join. 6pm in the choir room. Claim? Go, and if the worship pastor asks for volunteers to sing their song for the group, be the first with my hand in the air.
There was at least 30 people there, some song writers, some poets. Almost everyone brought a song or piece to share. I was one of the few that wasn't nervous (my mom was praying for me!), and the only one that brought a song specifically to be critiqued and get help with; an unfinished work. It seemed like everyone else picked their best piece to "wow" us with. I wasn't overly impressed with anyone, although one girl had a beautiful voice. I left disappointed as I didn't learn much. Hopefully it will get more challenging as we go--it was definitely just an introduction to the basics of songwriting. However, it really inspired me to want to write. I went home and the Lord gave me part of another worship song! I just want to glorify Him with the gifts and songs He has given me. Still, Your will, Lord. Your will, not mine.
Lesson: always be teachable
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like the coloring idea. As a Mom, I think I get lost in it. Ha! Might me the sleepless nights and simple conversations. Great post! Thanks.
ReplyDelete