"Leave your foolish ways behind, and begin to live;
learn how to be wise." Proverbs 9:6 (NLT)

Friday, February 26, 2010

Day 187 Driving Miss Diva

This claim was a fabulous experience!

As the music teacher at our school, there is no way of getting out of participating in the district-wide staff talent show that we affectionately call "Razzle Dazzle." It's a lot of fun, but also requires a lot of commitment for practices and the performance. Well, today after school was the meeting for all the representatives of each school, and as one of the youngest members in our school, I somehow became one of the people in charge of coming up with an act for us to do. So, my colleague and I went to the meeting. Wow, was it a meeting! Two ladies got into a very intense squeeling half-teasing half-serious argument when they found out that both of their schools were doing the same style of dance for their number. When I innocently asked why they couldn't both do it, one of them boisterously stated with a laugh, "Oh no. No. We are out for blood!"

Well, this very vocal lady happens to be the new drama teacher at one of the other middle schools and is a very dramatic, loud, "diva-like" personality.  She's African American, had a high ponytail with a flip at the top, huge dazzling silver earrings, and a personality that filled the room. When it came time to leave, she announced that she needed someone to give her a ride home. They seemed to ignore her comment and I shifted my gaze down so that she wouldn't ask me. My coworker asked her where she lived, and when I heard her descrive almost the exact same route I take going home, I thought, "Not me, not me." Not that I disliked her, but I was just feeling lazy and into my selfish mindset of wanting to just do my regular routine and go home and relax. It was a Monday after all!

But then, well, you know.

I was reminded once again of how I'm supposed to be claiming moments like this.  So, I looked up and said with a smile, "I can give you a ride home!" 

Now this lady is quite the diva, and had to flitter to every office in the building tosay "Hello ya'll!" and spread her cheer through the offices of the service center (including the office of the superintendent).  Finally she was ready to go and I found myself asking her all sorts of questions about her life, job, husband... and her telling me all about her exciting story of growing up in NYC and being in Broadway shows and flying back frequently to visit all of her friends who are currently actresses on Broadway.  She showed me her professional photos and talked excitedly about her upcoming 50th birthday party.  This lady did not look above 35 or 40!!

When I came to a stop at her destination, she asked me something about if I perform/sing outside of school and I was able to mention that my passion is music ministry and that I'm now in my church choir before she animatedly jumped in to share about how she also sings at her church and is known as the choir diva.  Then, the cutest thing happend.  She got out of my car with flare, thanking me and adding that I was "very sweet" and then, just as she closed the door she put her face up to the window and said with the most sincere, yet embarrassed face, "I'm so sorry that I cursed!" 

I drove the whole way home smiling.  Even though I hadn't had the chance to say much, the Lord used me to show her His love and a reflection of His character. I will never forget my adventure of driving Miss Diva!

Lesson: if you're willing, God will use you even in the smallest ways

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails