Day 196
Loneliness.
What to do with it?
Keep coming. I keep coming.
He will take it.
What else to do?
Get out of my life,
my struggles,
think of someone else!
So I emailed a dear friend,
a mentor to me, to check in,
and see how life in Israel is going.
It helped to think of someone else!
Lesson: put your mind on someone else; it gets your mind off yourself!
Day 197
Remember the 8th grade boy I was getting through to? The one who volunteered to stay late at detention and help me clean my board? I'm losing him. He's turning back to old habits, and I don't know what to do. I had a heavy heart about it after class today. What was I doing wrong? So a colleague encouraged me to go find him and talk with him. (The day before I'd shared my story of depression with him--he seems so unhappy and says he doesn't care about life. My words and encouragement seemed to have no effect). So, I claimed it. I gave up my free time on my prep to hunt him down and ask if he was okay. Closed wall. Short responses. Little eye contact. Nothing. I went back to my room more discouraged than I was before!
Lesson: sometimes reaching out so persistently isn't always the best route
Sunday, March 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment