"Leave your foolish ways behind, and begin to live;
learn how to be wise." Proverbs 9:6 (NLT)

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day 188 & 189 What matters?

Life is about living it, isn't it?
Much more than it is about typing it.
That's been my perspective recently,
which has lessened my motivation to type every day.
Sometimes I wonder why I'm typing this at all.
Yet I know I need to, for me.
So here is a glance at my week of simple claims.
A lot of small moments that add color to the painting of my life...

Day 188
Simple.  Watched a foreign film for the first time.
Language? Beautiful!  French.
A drama about the life of Coco Chanel.
Interesting story, though I was left with a heavy heart;
the man she loved died in a car crash and she never married.
Her motivation for her career seemed to come from loneliness and sadness; although she became famous in the fashion industry she lived a sad life.

Lesson:  it is better to have love than to have fame.

Day 189
I seized a moment at school today.
My 8th grade choir girls were standing around the piano with me,
and we were singing a song called "Looking Up."
As we sang, I realized they had no understanding of the lyrics--
they didn't realize it was talking about choosing to look above your problems, to reach for your dreams, to have HOPE.
So I stopped focussing on musicality and shared my story...
About my struggles with anorexia that started in 8th grade,
and about going through severe depression.
I have never had their attention so strongly before.
I knew I had made a difference today!

Lesson: Life--this is what teaching is about!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! As an 8th grader, that would have made such a difference to me. And I would have felt amazed that a teacher could understand some of what we went through back then. Go you :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails