It's amazing how this whole one-year adventure is changing me (and my life) in subtle, but impactful ways. Now, not a day goes by where I just go through the motions. It's making me stop and do something for ME. It's balancing out my life so work doesn't overtake my time and it's helping me to reflect and take time for myself. Not only is it refreshing to live life, it's exciting when I actually try new things (more about the dance lessons on Day 14)! Here's the scoop on the last two days of my adventure...
Day 12
Now this may sound silly, especially if you are a guy, but my claim for today was simply to paint my fingernails. Sounds ridiculous, I know. But here's the thing. When life and work get busy, we women (or at least I) have a tendency to let ourselves go. There's so much to do that we end up putting ourselves on the back burner and start looking haggard and void of energy and glow. After one week back at work, I was already starting to feel and look this way--so I had to make a change. My to-do list on Saturday was quite long. Lots of cleaning, organizing, errands, and laundry. Taking time out to actually sit and paint a beautiful coat of deep cherry polish on my nails did just the trick. Instead of looking at chipped nails of an old lady I was back to feeling young and put together. I know it sounds very superficial, but work with me here! All I'm saying is sometimes doing something little to take care of ourselves can give us back that extra bounce in our step.
Lesson: put the to-do list on the back burner, not me.
Day 13
A beautiful day to enjoy nature! Instead of going home and finishing my to-do list, I chose to take the opportunity to enjoy the sunny, 65 degree weather by grilling out and walking the trails at a nearby forest preserve with my sister and her husband and Dublin (their beautiful wheaton terrior with the softest white fur on this planet). I soaked in the sun, met a talking parrot, and was greeted with many smiling faces of other dog walkers who wanted to pet Dublin or let the dogs meet one another. I felt so far from the busy life just 5 miles away. How refreshing for the soul!
Lesson: to-do lists will get done eventually. opt for sanity!
Monday, August 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
There is something about doing something like nails or hair (which I actually did today) which makes your day seem a little brighter. A little cleaner.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had a chance to get out. We've gotta enjoy this weather while we can :)