"Leave your foolish ways behind, and begin to live;
learn how to be wise." Proverbs 9:6 (NLT)

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day 50 Stillness

Why is it that our society can't just be still?
Modern technology does not help.
Cell phones...
Always available to talk, listen, and talk some more.
I-pods & MP3 players...
No need for silence,
easier to ignore our thoughts and inner struggles.
Car radios...
Loud enough to cover our pain,
to avoid self reflection.

I got in the car to drive to women's Bible study.
Naturally, I reached for my cell phone.
(How many of us fill up our driving time with conversation?)
I stopped.
No.
Today was the day to opt for stillness.
I spent the 25 minute drive praying for friends and family,
enjoying the silence of no radio,
and taking in the beautiful clouds and fall colors.

Lesson: remember simpler times.

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails