Tonight my feelings were hurt by a friend.
I know I was just being too sensitive.
Still, the feeling gnawed at me when I hung up the phone.
It was already late--
I'd be getting ready for bed as soon as I took my coat off.
I was reminded of the Bible verse:
"Do not let the sun go down on your anger."
I wasn't angry. I was hurt. And frustrated.
I thought a moment.
Time to choose:
be bothered all night and carry it into tomorrow,
or call back and work through it together.
So I went against all my natural instincts
(I get quiet when I get hurt)
and picked up the phone.
I felt so much better afterward.
...Why bring today's hurts into tomorrow?
Lesson: be hasty to reconcile
Sunday, December 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This time of the year, with so much stressing us out, it's easy to be hurt. Sometimes that simple phone call (and explanation and forgiveness) can go a long way in relieving burdens, restoring friendships, and reminding us that we don't need to be insular. Glad you followed the holy nudge!
ReplyDeleteYou know what's interesting? As I get older, and reflect more on my natural responses to various situations, I realize more how many things I need to "work out" in my own heart and relationship habits. You'd think that as we get older, we'd realize we're getting things more together. Somehow, though, I feel it's the opposite with me--I realize (more) how often I fall short and simply need Jesus! I grew up in a famiy where we didn't always communicate about things. I find now, that I really have to work to get up the "gumption" to communicate my hurt instead of keeping it bottled inside and just talking to the Lord about it. Do you have any of these similar feelings as you get older?
ReplyDelete