"Leave your foolish ways behind, and begin to live;
learn how to be wise." Proverbs 9:6 (NLT)

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 140 A Flute Farewell


Today was the first time a claim didn't make me happy.
I walked away with a tinge of sadness and doubt.
When I was in 4th grade, I joined band as a flute player.
My flute was special, for a beginner player--
we found out after I'd purchased it that it was an open-hole flute.
Playing flute soon became a passion, and continued to be all the way through high school.
I didn't major in it because I hurt my wrists my senior year and couldn't play for a few years.

It has popped into my head a few times to sell my flute
(I have a much nicer, expensive, open-hole flute that I currently play)
but then I'd always hold onto it. 
Did I really want to get rid of my very first one?
Quite an emotional attachment to the "first" of something,
especially something that turned into a passion.

I was going through my closet the other day and decided it was time.
Why hold onto it, even for my future children,
if there are kids with a need for one now?
(I teach in a school where there is a desparate need for supplies.)
Today I walked up to the band room at my school and handed it to the director.
It was an emotional journey for me--
doubt, hesitance, and sadness grew stronger with each step.
I pushed them away.  "No.  I don't need this.  It's just an object.  Someone else needs it more."

I walked away with a small sadness in my heart.
Down the stairway I went, out the back door, across the parkinglot...
And then I told myself, "I will forget all about it in a few days."
I know it will make some child very happy some day!

Lesson: sacrifice does not always feel great in the moment

4 comments:

  1. How sweet and how sad! I'm sure God will put it into the hands of someone who'll appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you ever in band? It was such a big part of my pre-college years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicago Girl! Love the concept of your blog: peace and happiness is out there, we just need to claim it! Your flute story is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words! You are right! I hope we can keep each other claiming on this blogging journey. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails