A whole week of claims, of truly living!
I have a friend coming over for dinner and cookies in the oven,
so let's see how much I can type before she gets here!
So last you read about was Day 147 "Singing for the Savior."
Let's start with Day 148 & Day 149:Day 148
My friend Joanie, from my college days, has been popping into my head lately. We reconnected two years ago when I decided to go on an adventure and fly to NYC (where she also lives) to visit the guy that I was seeing at the time. I've been wondering since then how life is going for her and if she did get married (she got engaged while I was visiting her). Today's claim was to stop the wondering and finally call her. When she answered, I found out that she was currently in the hospital for an infection in her intestines! We chatted briefly; she aid she'd call back soon. It felt great to step out of my life. It felt even better to pray for her on my drive home.Lesson: why wonder when you can find out the truth?
Day 149
This was a tough one. It took a lot of discipline,a lot of biting my tongue, and much control of the mind.
Friday night--the end of a great week,
I was zipping along on the interstate,
excited to be on my way,
had just received a phone call,
and then it happend.I noticed a cop car. Too late.
In my excitement, I hadn't realized my speed.Although I was staying with the flow of traffic,
the "flow" was going almost 80 mph, in a 65 speed zone.
He was coming after me.
My heart stopped, and as his lights blinded me,
I did all I could to pull over quickly and gather up some courage.
I was honest. I was polite.
It didn't matter.He slapped me with a $250 ticket.
As he handed it to me, the tears started to flow
(silly, I know.)
But you have to understand my personality.
I'm a goody-goody.
I don't like being in trouble, I don't like messing up,
and I definitely don't like forking out money for an honest mistake.
It was done.
The tears kept coming as I drove away.
"How would I pay this?"
My additional income has stopped for 3 months,out of my control. Money is tight.
A friend talked me through it,
gave me some perspective.Claim? Not let this ruin my weekend. And,
not talk to Jill (the friend I was going to visit) about it.
Or even anyone else; no need to throw a pity party!I was able to compose myself,
rid the tears, and meet Jill for a pizza dinner where we laughed,
chatted, and caught up on life.Somehow I was able to change my mood and perspective,
and put my attention on her and having a fun Friday night.


If you were in WI, they LOVE IL plates. The exact same thing (and exact same fine) happened to me, closer to the Dells. It SUCKED and ever since, I've driven no more than 5 miles over in WI, no matter how teeth-grinding it is for me (and any relatives who happen to not share my own goody-goody perspective). I'm sorry it happened to you, tho...money was tight for me, too (and still is). - M
ReplyDeleteYes--he seemed to be enjoying the fact that he could slap a huge ticket on me, and he rounded it up 2 miles so that he could charge me an extra $50. So not cool!
ReplyDelete