Exhausted from work--the remote control is like gravitational pull. "Just one show" becomes two or three, and then the silence that follows enhances the loneliness within. So tonight I chose something better.
I dug out my big, thick binder of songs I've written over the years and sat down at the piano to see what I could come up with. I pulled out half-written songs, smiling at the memories of inspiration and creation. As I sat with my fingers brushing lightly over the keys, a short phrase and a melody popped into my head. I started to figure it out on the piano... and the words came. I quickly pulled out a pencil and scratched the lyrics and chords down, excited by its newness. I spent a long time playing through it, working with it, singing it. I went to bed that night with new inspiration and purpose.
Lesson: sometimes the choice comes before the inspiration
Sunday, January 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment