Today was a half day, and I was one of the teachers chaperoning during the I-SAT pep assembly in the gym(I-SAT is a big upcoming test for middle schoolers) . One of the teachers in charge of the assembly is a close friend of mine, and as she was emceeing the event, I looked around and noticed that most of the students were bored, distracted, and totally uninspired. Kids were talking while she was talking, throwing paper wads, hanging on bleacher bars (literally), poking each other, talking back to teachers who were trying to hush them... It wasn't a pretty sight. Although it was terribly disrespectful, my heart went out to them and I thought, "These kids need to be inspired!" "People want to be inspired!" And then I felt God plop an idea into my heart of exactly what I should say. I knew I needed to claim the moment. So inbetween the assemblies (we had three, one for each grade level), I asked her if I could share something during the 8th grade assembly. She was delighted.
I began to share with them how I have been with them for 6th grade, then 7th grade, and finally 8th grade (this is my 3rd year there, so they will be the first group I'm "sending off" to the high school), and how as I was watching the assembly, I was reminded of a movie: "The Blind Side." "Who here has seen this movie?" Several hands went up. I began to explain the storyline to them how he came from a difficult life like many of them. "Do you remember how his father died, and then his mom got evicted? ...He didn't let it cause him to give up. He didn't quit. He got a tutor and worked even harder, didn't he? He wouldn't have been able to be on the football team if he didn't get good grades... He wouldn't have reached his dream. He wouldn't be famous today, and there wouldn't be a movie about his life." I reminded them how he went into high school not being able to read or write very well, but that he did it, and they could too. I brought it to a close: "You know, the week of the I-SAT tests there will be things in your life that you can't control. Maybe something hard will happen at home or with your friends at school. Remember how he did it? He still gave it his best, and he chose to not let those things affect him..." I wished them luck and walked back to my spot as they clapped. Inside I was elated--I did it! I seized the moment and made a difference. There is a purpose for me here!Lesson: be ready to seize an opportunity for change
That must be the greatest satisfaction a teacher can have, connecting with students that way. Congratulations on having such a gratifying day.
ReplyDeleteThanks, it was a really great feeling! It's always encouraging to feel like you're making a difference, even in a small way.
ReplyDeleteVERY cool! And I like the fact that they all got quiet for you - that is a testimony to what a difference you've made, even if some days it doesn't feel like it.
ReplyDelete(And yes, around here ISAT is a 4-letter word!) - M
Haha--"a four letter word!" That's hilarious. I love it that we can totally relate to each other. Isn't it weird how some days we can feel so effective and other days feel like we're making no little to no difference? I wonder if people in other careers go through the same thing...
ReplyDeleteHai...
ReplyDelete