"Leave your foolish ways behind, and begin to live;
learn how to be wise." Proverbs 9:6 (NLT)

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Julie & Julia: A Realization

I feel as though part of me has died.
I haven't told you this,
but the inspiration for this blog started when I saw a delightful movie:
the popular hit "Julie & Julia."
Julie decided to take on a year-long journey of cooking,
in hopes of finding herself and changing her world.
And she did.
And she changed mine.
And Julia's story changed mine.
I went to see the movie twice in the theaters.
I got the book and DVD for Christmas,
and my mom gave me one of her pearl necklaces "in remembrance."
If you've seen the movie you understand.

Tonight I started flipping through the book,
curious to the true character of Julie Powell.
(Over the holidays, my brother mentioned he thought there must be a reason why Julia Child "didn't like" Julie.
I defended Julie all the way.)
But then as I started flipping through it tonight,
my eyes kept catching the same word,
over and over and over.
The more I saw it the more my heart sank.
The word? Dare I even say it?
It was the "F---" word.
Over and over I saw it.
My heart sunk with the realization that the character in my head did not align with the person of Julie Powell in real-life.
What was missing? Simple: Class.
Although Julie's story, and Julia Child's life,
have given me hope,
I need to remember what Julie's husband said to her in the movie when Julie found out that Julia Child supposedly didn't like her.
He told her that it didn't matter,
because it was the Julia that she knew,
that she found,
that had inspired her,
and that she herself accomplished this journey on her own.

I still love "Julie & Julia."
And I'm still going to read Julie's book.
Even if I am disappointed,
I know I will always be grateful for this journey and change in me.

Lesson: don't let disapointment discourage you from the task

4 comments:

  1. What a disappointment! But Julia Child had class and your right, its the story and what's in your mind that made a difference in your life, and it was a good one. I'm so sorry the book turned out that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. Julia Child is completely inspiring. And so is what Julie did. Her journey, her decision, and her own path of changing her life is what lit the spark in me and gave me hope. I can hold onto that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha, well, some New Yorkers are a bit more liberal with their wording.

    I heard an interview with Julie Powell on NPR and she sounded bookish and straight-laced. I think her writing style was trying to be edgier than she is in real life. Her blog was tied into Slate.com, which has a slight edge to it.

    You ought to do a search for NPR and Julie Powell, and listen to her speak. I tried linking an interview here but it wouldn't allow it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip, Kitty--I will look into this! I know everyone has their own upbringing, but it was quite a change from how she was portrayed in the movie, which was unexpected. Have you met her? I'd love to talk with her!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails