"Leave your foolish ways behind, and begin to live;
learn how to be wise." Proverbs 9:6 (NLT)

Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 141 Almost Anonymous!

When I first started this blog, I wasn't exactly sure how this journey was going to go. I didn't know if I'd wake up each day and "claim" what I'd do that day, and then try to make it happen, or if it would be more like a choice in a moment that would turn into a claim.

Does this make sense, or am I talking crazy?
With some reflection, I've realized that the journey started out the first way, but as timed passed, (and I became more conscious of how to really live in a moment), it morphed into the latter.  Side note: I still have a long way to go! ...But, such was today's claim...

We had more snow today.  And more ice. I left my classroom at the middle school where I teach, hurriedly walked down the spiraling staircase, and rushed through the brisk air to my cold, yet lovely, snow-covered silver Honda. I grabbed a scraper and brushed and joined the freezing folk who were getting their own cars ready for the ride home.

Just as I was finishing, I noticed that the car parked next to mine was piled high with snow and ice. Should I scrape it?  Dare I break the barrier and step out into this unknown territory?  "Wouldn't it be such a wonderful surprise to walk out of school and see my own car fully brushed and ready to go??"  I made my decision.

I worked as quickly as I could, wanting to complete the task and drive away before the car's owner saw who did it.  There's something special about anonymous, random acts of kindness!  Just when I thought I was going to make it, I heard a voice calling my name.  I turned around--it was my good friend, Deb, and it was her car!  She kept thanking me and expressing her surprise and appreciation. I think my smile grew even bigger than hers!

Maybe God wanted to give the kindness right back to me?!

Lesson: anonymous is nice, appreciation feels wonderful!

3 comments:

  1. This is really a WONDERFUL story! I hope you manage to continue to do such things as mentioned above. The second-guessing you write of just prior to engaging in the act of kindness, I think, is the same second-guessing most people get caught up in and stuck in - preventing them from doing good things for others. Thanks for sharing this great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every day brings us something of his...and if you live useful for others, they did not puss only...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really cool. We're so use to autonomy in our society - its such a breath of fresh air when someone does something unexpected for you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails